Select Page

from the Troublesome Creek Times, used with permission

NOTE: Ms. Gibson is an alumna of Alice Lloyd College (Class of 1976).

Gibson

Carolyn Gibson

Knott County artist Carolyn Gibson attended the 2014 Governor’s Derby Exhibit Reception on Friday, April 4, from 1 – 3 p.m.

Ms. Gibson was one of 27 artists from around the state whose work was chosen for this special exhibit. Carolyn’s watercolor, “Hope Renewed,” is on display in the Capitol Rotunda in Frankfort until May 5. The building is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and will also open on Saturday, May 3, so visitors may view the artwork during the Derby Celebration.

“I was thankful I felt good, and attended with Christina, Mom, and Glen. I felt so blessed,” Carolyn told the Times this week.

“I explained my artwork to so many people that liked it. I told them how every spring, I feel hope and renewal in nature – and with the Easter emphasis of Christ’s resurrection, my hope is renewed, thus the title of my artwork.

“Also, I was touched when Mrs. Beshear explained to me how the year she was born her mother developed ovarian cancer; she died when Mrs. Beshear was 24 years old.

“The First Lady spoke encouraging words to me and told me to persevere and keep a positive attitude, which is so helpful in a trial. I shared with her how I felt God knows all about our lives, including all the details – just like those tiny ants on the flower in my painting. Surprisingly, she hugged me!”

Ms. Gibson is an inspiration to all who know her – for her talent, but also for her courage and sweet spirit. We are proud that both she and her work are representing Knott County!

Alice Lloyd College is always looking for stories about our alumni! If you have a story to tell, or if you know an alumna or alumnus who has received an award, published an article, book, or influential research, or has accomplished something noteworthy, please let us know by visiting this page.