Select Page

by Jarrod Stamper

I was born and raised in the heart of Appalachia in Whitesburg, Kentucky. When the time came to decide on a college for me, I looked for three things: a quality education, an affordable price, and an environment in which I could see myself. During my senior year, I toured many campuses of well-known colleges and universities, but none met all three of my wishes. That is, until I visited Alice Lloyd College. 

From my first steps on campus, I immediately felt at home. I was greeted with smiles and directed by knowledgeable, kind, and efficient staff who were willing to assist me in any way possible. I soon learned that, in addition to a “home-like” environment, the College also met my remaining wishes. Of all the schools I had visited, Alice Lloyd College matched all others in regards to education quality, but offered it at an unbeatable price. It seemed too good to be true. The College continued to exceed my expectations, and I realized that this was the college for me.

Alice Lloyd College offers a variety of degrees to students. Students are urged to pick a degree that they enjoy and that best pertains to their future goals. That major for me was history. As a declared history major, I am taking all the necessary courses I will need to help me come one step closer to my dream of becoming a lawyer. 

Being a first generation college student, I had many questions about college life and, specifically, the work-study program at Alice Lloyd College. The program is designed to help students learn responsibility and build a strong work ethic while working to pay a percentage of their tuition. For my work-study job, I was selected to be an Admissions Ambassador. My favorite aspect of the job is giving campus tours to visitors. In my time here, the work-study program has strengthened my work ethic and helped to prepare me for a better future.

I’m looking forward to continuing the rest of my undergraduate career here at Alice Lloyd College. I was fortunate enough to be able to attend college, and I intend to utilize my time here to better myself and my future. I’m proud to be spending this chapter of my life as an Eagle!

Help us continue the work of Mrs. Alice Lloyd and countless others by giving to Alice Lloyd College! With gifts from people like you, we can continue to offer a quality education to the young people of Appalachia. Click here to make your gift today!